Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Relativity of Life

I never really thought I'd have a rooster wake me up in the morning, and then I moved to Paraguay. The rooster and it's adolescent sidekick start at about 6am with their first round of wake-ups. The full call first by the grown, followed by a pathetic attempt by the younger. Think 14 year old boy voice meets chicken and you'll get close enough to the sound we hear every morning. Their calls drift in our chicken wire screened in window, that opens up from our bedroom into the walled in backyard. Morning has come.

Breakfast is normally bread with a jam, a small sandwich, or yogurt. But whatever we eat, we always have the same thing to drink. "Cocido", a hot tea made fresh from the dried leaves every morning with a touch of sugar and milk. Perfect in my book. Berta always says, "if cocido was beer, you'd be drunk all day long!" And then she does this great imitation of a drunk stumbling around on the streets, it's one of my favorite of her many imitations.

Slowly but surely, Berta is becoming more and more acustom to us washing the plates. Yes, the spickets are a little different here. We have a pvc pipe that runs straight to the sink with a little plastic turn top. No option for hot water, but I've yet to see a dirty plate, nor have I gotten sick from any of the little germs looming around on the dishes.

Showering time is quick, not because we don't have good access to water, but because it's cold! Most of the time a cold shower is welcomed, however, we do have cool mornings, and wet dreary days were it is not such a blessing. However, there have been very few times that we have not been able to shower.

A few days ago Berta went to visit a old friend of hers that she hadn't seen in a long time. When she returned she said she wanted to cry. The house was bursting at the seams with 7 people living in a tiny 2 room home. The house was filthy, with no running water, nor electricity. Berta said for their meal today they had a mixture of toasted flour, with a little water and sugar added. They had hardly enough to get by, and too much shame to go out of the house. It was then she told me, "We are NOT poor. It may seem that way sometimes, but we are not."

It was a friend of mine in college that told me, "life is a constant state of relativity." And it's true. Craig and I are comfortable where we are. Yes, things are different than at home, but we are not poor here. Poor is relative. We look at Donald Trump and say we don't have enough in middle class Goshen, IN. We look at Goshen, IN and say we are poor in Paraguay, but there is always someone, somewhere surviving on less. The challenge presents itself then, how can I live simply, so that others may simply live?

8 comments:

Lyz said...

great reflections, and good questions for us all...thanks.

emily said...

I can remember those nights where you just lay in bed when I was in Guat thinking about the poverty in the world and how it isn't fair and how people in the States just have no idea what is going on in the world. So humbling. Then you fall asleep and a pubecent rooster tries its best to wake you up, and you are forced to take it all in as "another day in Paraguay".

Nussbaum Family said...

great read, might even use it this week as i preach on the beatitudes. Keep up the writing and reflecting. Love you both.

Nussbaum Family said...

Wow, what great thoughts. And thanks for sharing what your day to day life is like. I can't wait to experience it with you!
Love, Mom

Florence said...

Thanks Krista! It's so good to hear about your daily life, and I'm so impressed with your ability to accept the way of life in Paraguay. Your reflections are good for all of us! Love, G'ma N.

Anonymous said...

Humbling reminder, Krista. I sometimes feel I don't need a lot to get by (I came here for a year with only two suitcases), but what I have is still much more than I need (except for the second hat. I need that).

Merle H said...

C & K,
Reading your reflections is stirring and insightful. (Cowhead, give me a break!) Thanks for living hopefully, faithfully, and with an enjoyment. God's deep peace to you and your team.

Tyler D. said...

I don't how you did it but you definately copied the second paragraph in my blog, even before I got the chance to write it. I thought you were going to eat the rooster?